Best Low-Cost Medical Check-Up Abroad: Medical Tourism
Traveling abroad for a general health examination has become a very common practice, mainly because of its cost. So, for full medical check-up packages in the world you can visit any of the general clinics out there, and you can choose to perform any of given tests, scans, or exams. It can be a highly profiled test at a specialized medical center in the United States, or it can be the master health checkup in Chennai, India. It is upt to you where would you go.
Either way, make sure to execute these simple steps:
- Do the research thoroughly
- Find the health check-up plan that fits your needs
- Find the most suitable hospital
- Contact the hospital
- Make an appointment with doctors in advance to avoid misunderstandings and waiting lists.
What is Medical Check-Up?
Medical checkup refers to the general medical examination, also known as a comprehensive medical exam, periodic health evaluation, general health check, or annual physical examination. It usually includes a complete physical examination and some lab tests.
This is considered to be one of the most effective forms of preventive medicine, as it helps diagnose diseases in the early stage and make the treatment much more efficient.
This kind of medical evaluation usually starts from the visit to a general practitioner (GP), although it may require specialized visits for more detailed examinations if needed.
Where are the Best Clinics for a Medical Check-Up?
All over the world, you can find experienced and very skillful general practitioners who can make an annual physical examination for you. As we already said, it is not unusual to arrange the trip to another country in order to perform a general medical checkup.
And which are the top countries for a comprehensive medical examination?
The United States is surely one of those, with Mayo Clinic as one of the world’s best known medical centers for the executive health program. On the other side of the world, India is one of the leaders in cost-effective medical care for international patients. Over there, Apollo Hospitals and Sri Ramachandra University Hospital are among the best ones for personalized health checks. Besides that, Spain, Turkey, United Kingdom, Dubai, Thailand, Singapore, and New Zealand, are also the go-to places when it comes to general medical examinations.
Woman Health Check-Up Packages
Usually, there are several checkup packages designed especially for women, depending on their age. For example, for women under 30 years of age, basic health screening may include blood sugar test, urinal test, an ultrasound scan of the pelvis, Pap smear test, and a general check by a gynecologist. On the other hand, for women over 40 years, a recommended health pack should also include Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Dexa bone density scan, and mammogram.
How To Arrange Medical Check-Up Abroad
When you find the most suitable health checkup for yourself, that is low-cost and provides experienced General Practitioners, you are only half way through the completion of the medical tourism journey that you want to arrange.
The other half goes for the trip arrangements – flight, airport transfers, accommodation, local guides and translators if needed. You can organize it all by yourself or set an arrangement with a medical tourism agency. Inquire about visa as well. Visa is a mandatory travel document for some countries. You can look for those on the internet, or find one directly in your hometown or a destination country. Most of specialized agencies have a general medical checkup among their services, so it shouldn’t be a problem to make a decision.
Either way, make sure to conduct a thorough research on the specialty you need and find out everything you can about the patient policy of a chosen clinic.
Medical Check-Up Treatments
- Allergy skin test; ACAAI on skin tests; NHS on allergy tests.
- Dexa Bone density scan, dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry (DXA), bone densitometry (measurement of bone loss and bone mineral density, BMD); Radiology info on bone densitometry (DEXA, DXA); National osteoporosis foundation on bone density exam.
- Breast cancer screening, clinical breast exam (CBE), mammogram (looks for signs of cancer before any symptoms); Women’s health on breast cancer.
- Cardiological check-up, ECG, EKG, electrocardiogram (test of the heart’s rhythm and electrical activity); NHS on electrocardiogram (ECG).
- Colonoscopy (examination of the entire colon); UC Davis health on health check up and colorectal cancer.
- Diabetes tests; Diabetes UK; NIH on diabetes risk test.
- Executive check-up (examination of the body in order to find any diseases); Mayo clinic executive health program.
- Eye examination; Mayo clinic health program; Wikipedia on eye examination; Essilor on vision tests.
- Gastroscopy, endoscopy, OGD, oesophago-gastro-duodenoscopy (examination of the stomach with an endoscope); Spire Manchester hospital on gastroscopy.
- General health check-up; Lifescan UK; NHS on the pros and cons of the NHS health check.
- Gynecological examination; SexInfo on annual gynecological examinations.
- Hearing test; CDC on hearing loss in children; Action in hearing loss.
- Prostate cancer screening, PSA testing; NHS on prostate cancer; Prostate cancer UK on the PSA test.
- Pulmonary function tests (measure breathing and the lung functioning); Medline plus on pulmonary function tests.
- Skin cancer screening; Skin health UK on skin cancer screening; The Mole clinic on skin cancer screening.
- Sleep study, sleep lab, sleep medicine, sleep disorders, polysomnography (test to diagnose sleep disorders); Sleep education.
- Smokers tests; Health check up on 6 medical tests for smokers.
- Stress test, exercise test, treadmill test (determine how well the heart works during physical activity, in order to find any diseases); Medline plus on exercise stress test.
- Ultrasound scanning, sonogram (use sound waves to examine the inside of the body); NHS on ultrasound.